[svlug] 3G for smartphones has "monstrous patent issues"

Sargun Dhillon xbmodder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 21:49:12 PDT 2009

Yeah, it would probably add a considerable amount to the cost.
Firstly, Rick, OpenMoko's Freerunner OS is open source. What is not
open source is the firmware for the calypso, the GSM chipset contained
within the FR, u-blox chip, and the Atheros firmware. Two of these
(U-blox GPS, and Atheros) were because of the FCC. The GSM chip
because of every GSM carrier locks their chip up. Due to the recent
work of several developers we've been able to develop an open source
glamo driver.

Anyways, what's really hurting the Openmoko project is:
A) Funding - Building a phone requires several million dollars _AT LEAST_
B) Poor communication - Openmoko has a nasty habit of having poor
communication with the community. Steve Mosher is basically the public
face of the company, but he's far too busy
C) The hardware - The hardware industry in relative to GSM is far too
costly, and closed.