[svlug] 3G for smartphones has "monstrous patent issues"

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 6 14:41:17 PDT 2009

Quoting Chris DiBona (cdibona at gmail.com):

> It is worth pointing out that the patent fees are usually built into
> the bill of materials at teh factory, and usually includes radio,
> codec and other patents on the device.

Good point.  Thanks.

The OpenMoko guy guestimated that adding circuitry for 3G would add
$200 to the existing pretty-steep cost ($300 min.) of the GTA02 =
FreeRunner, and would be feasible only if there were a minimum order of
50,000 units.  (They've sold a bit over 10k FreeRunners, total.)

Actually, I'm not sure about that $200 figure.  Raster (yeah, our
Raster) was quoting it on the OpenMoko "community" list, but I don't
know whom it was from.

--
Cheers,              Híggledy-pìggledy / XML programmers
Rick Moen            Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;