[svlug] IBM and Sun

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Wed Apr 1 21:07:30 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:51:04PM -0700, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> I don't see it as a personal attack, but rather you insist that
> you know something that you don't. For some of us, reality is an
> option, but your welcome to live out your fantasy as you see
> fit.

Hi Alan,
Well, that's part of your problem, you don't even realize when
you launch a personal attack on someone. It says more about you
than me.

I've read the other comments on this thread. I think Mark and Don have
already followed up with enough proof, such that all the folks who
read this thread can make up their own minds. And you can ignore
the reality, if it helps you in some way.

> >Since you are representing Sun here
>
> I am not a representative of Sun, I am not employed by them
> anymore. But I was there, and know *some* of what went on, where
> you were not and insist what happened.
>

> Again, this shows more ignorance. These 2 events really have
> nothing to do with each other, and were driven by different
> parts of Sun. The Microsoft case was primarily driven by the
> Java folks, and the SCO deal was done by the Solaris
> Engineering.

Again, there has been enough proof posted on this thread that
everyone who reads it can make their own judgement about what
is reality.

> >Also note that at the time Sun paid SCO, Sun also made public
> >statements that all Linux companies and Linux consumers needed
> >to pay SCO as well.
>
> They did? This is news to me, tell me more...

Again, there has been enough proof posted on this thread that
everyone who reads it can make their own judgement about what
is reality.

> >And IBM has pretty much buried SCO. But Sun was out there in
> >public stating anyone using Linux needed to be paying SCO.
> >Those are the facts. Reality isn't optional.
>
> Not for nothing, but I think your smoking crack on that one.

Personal insults say more about you than they say about me.

> I have no stake in Solaris, trust me. I use it where it makes
> sense, and use Linux where it makes sense, I have always been
> that way. I have always been honest about my view, and I have to
> honestly say that you don't really know what your talking about.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. BTW, if you think I don't
know what I am talking about, then you might want to check out the
beowulf HPC email list. They just started a thread discussing SGI
and Sun. And those folks are not being kind to Sun Microsystems in
that thread. In fact, they are trashing Sun in a big way. Maybe you
should go over their and enlighten all those researchers who are
trashing Sun as we speak. Maybe you can insult them by telling them
their comments are drivel. Maybe you can tell them they don't know
what they are talking about. Maybe you can tell them they are
smoking crack. That'll teach them a lesson they won't soon forget.

Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306