[svlug] IBM and Sun

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Apr 1 09:18:13 PST 2009

begin Alan DuBoff quotation of Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:13:30AM -0700:
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Don Marti wrote:
>
> > If that's all they were doing, why did they buy an
> > option to acquire SCO stock?
> >  http://news.cnet.com/2100-1016_3-1024633.html
>
> I don't know Don, the one thing that stands out there is this
> comment, but I will be honest, I don't put very much weight in
> Shankland, read below.

Sun did put its money where its mouth was: on the SCO side.
  http://lwn.net/Articles/36428/
  http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1102542/000110465903012299/j2045_10q.htm

> "Although Sun has broader rights than do other Unix licensees
> such as IBM and Hewlett-Packard, it doesn't have the right to
> release Unix source code or Sun modifications to it as
> open-source software, SCO spokesman Blake Stowell said."

Stowell also said that Caldera's 2002 Unix source
release was "non-commercial."
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7089
If Blake Stowell agrees with you on something, you're
probably wrong.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco