[svlug] IBM and Sun

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Wed Apr 1 06:01:31 PST 2009

begin Alan DuBoff quotation of Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:51:04PM -0700:

> Not for nothing, but I think your smoking crack on that one. Sun
> covered their @$$, and I think it was a smart thing to do.

If that's all they were doing, why did they buy an
option to acquire SCO stock?
  http://news.cnet.com/2100-1016_3-1024633.html

Someone at Sun did put some "intellectual property"
FUD on the web site shortly after its SCOsource
deal, but didn't leave it up long.  Maybe management
underestimated how enthusiastic the customers would
be about cheap shots at Linux.   I did look for this
stuff on archive.org, but it wasn't up for long.

> Sun
> wouldn't make a comment in regards to Linux without knowing what
> is actually in Linux, and I can assure you they haven't spent
> any time trying to figure that out, they had enough on their
> plate with Solaris.

So when Sun introduced Linux servers running Sun's
own LSB-compliant Linux distribution in 2002...
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/5878
...they had no idea what was in Linux?

Big companies don't make decisions.  People make
decisions.  As we saw from the Larry McVoy paper,
there have clearly been supporters of Free Software
who get it from a business POV inside Sun for a long
time.  There are also apparently people who don't
get it, and they get to steer some of the company's
public actions too.

http://zgp.org/~dmarti/
dmarti at zgp.org
See you at OpenSource World: August 11-13, 2009 in San Francisco