[svlug] Ubuntu and wireless on Dell Vostro 1000

Skip Evans skip at bigskypenguin.com
Fri Jul 25 21:11:24 PDT 2008

Hey all,

I just got a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop and installed
Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. When it first booted the
wireless didn't come up, so I got on line and
found some issues people had and instructions for
getting it going by install ndiswrapper and
ndiswrapper utils and the proper driver.

Also, at this point under System -> Network it
only listed the Wired Connection and Point to Point.

I also noticed that the update icon in the top
right was list and said there were over 200
updates waiting so I went ahead and did it update.
When the update was completed it wanted to reboot
the system.

After rebooting the blue bars for the wireless
connection appeared in the top right and it then
found my wireless Netopia DSL modem and said the
connection was "100%", but when I right click and
ask for connection information it has all zeros
for IP address, etc.

Under System -> Network it shows Wireless
Connection now along with the other two, but it is
not check-able, and when I select properties it
doesn't not have the Save button clickable.

I then went back to the docs that explained how to
do get it working via ndiswrapper, and did

apt-get install ndiswrapper-common
apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils

The next step was

ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

But when I do this I get

No ndiswrapper utils found!

But apt-get tells me that ndiswrapper-utils is the
newest version.

Any advice on next steps would greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Skip
--
Skip Evans