[svlug] Suggestion for dist to use on dual-boot system

M. A. Sridhar m_a_sridhar at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 22 08:23:57 PDT 2008

Hi,

FWIW, I have found it a lot more convenient to use a VMware linux guest on my XP host. You can choose from a variety of distributions, because there are lots of images available, and VMware player is free.  It offers the convenience of being able to start and stop it at will, while Windows is running. Moreover, when you start it, it preserves the exact state of the OS when the VM was last turned on, which I found is enormously convenient.

If you want to run X applications from within Linux, you can use something like Cygwin-X  on your XP desktop so that you can run X and Windows apps side by side. There are also lots of commercial X servers if you want. And run Samba within the VM, so that you can share files.

Performance-wise, I have found that the Linux running in the image is just as fast as running directly on the native hardware.

I build web apps for a living, and I do all my server-side development in a VMware image. (I use the Ubuntu Jeos distro because I just need a lean-and-mean server.) This makes it easy for me to carry the VM in a USB drive, and move my whole work environment between machines without any hassles.

Just my $0.02. Hope this helps.

Regards.

M. A. Sridhar
m_a_sridhar at yahoo dot com