[svlug] Suggestion for dist to use on dual-boot system

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 07:41:18 PDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Karsten Wade <phig at phig.org>
To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 15:31:43 -0700
Subject: Re: [svlug] Suggestion for dist to use on dual-boot system
Tony Cappellini wrote:

>>Caveat:  I work nearly full time on Fedora-related stuff for Red Hat, so
you can consider me to be biased with whatever grains of salt.
We actually use FC6 at work on our clients, but in a stripped down version
that is tailored for a very specific task.
I want to install a full-featured dist on my laptop, and wanted to solicit
some ideas from people who are in the mainstream.

>>You are definitely going to need to go somewhere else to get your
multimedia bits (MPEG *, Flash, etc.)  There are real and good reasons
>>this stuff doesn't ship in Fedora[3].
So, if modern dists are so much easier to install than they were back when I
originally had my exposure to linux (1999-2002) why are these multimedia
things missing now? Oh - probably because of licensing, not being open
source...?

>>Or vice-versa, if your processor supports full virtualization, you can
install Windows running under KVM.
Since I've been using Windows for my primary OS for so long, it will stay
that way for awhile. Not because it's better, it's just that I'm so used to
doing everything with it. Ok, no OS wars, please.

Also- I'd have to buy another license to use VMware with Linux as the host
and Windows as the guest.

The virtualization feature of my laptop bios makes the system slow when it
is enabled, so I'll never enable it again.
Yes, i have the latest BIOS.