[svlug] Suggestion for dist to use on dual-boot system

Tony Cappellini cappy2112 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 07:25:31 PDT 2008

> >>suitable for production environments but is not as "interesting" as
> Fedora or
> >>other very current desktop distros.
> What makes Fedora more interesting?

> >>You don't mention use of Linux away from work

If it's on my laptop, I'll be using it everywhere, but the primary drive is
because of myjob

> >>Good luck. You have a number of fine candidates from which to choose-or
> try
> >>several through the magic of VM.

> I have Ubuntu installed in a VM. I didn't want to go into the VM stuff, but
> focus on a distribution in this thread, but that's ok.

I had RedHat installed in a dual-boot configuration before so I wanted to
see what is involved in getting it installed with WIndows XP.
I've found sveral (too many) references on setting up a dual boot system.
Hopefully my laptop hardware won't be a problem, it's not listed on the
LinuxForLaptop page.

A few things that have changed since my initial involvmenet with Linux :Grub
seems to be the favorite boot loader instead of Lilo, and the kernels are
2.6 based. I used to recompile the kernels to strip off the bulk, and I'm
looking forward to learning how to do that again, once I get Linux
installed.