[svlug] Best VPN hardware for small office...

Scott Boyd svlug at futures.com
Sun Jul 20 12:16:03 PDT 2008

OpenVPN is the best solution. Better than any of the variously
proprietary hardware  solutions I've worked with.

You just need use Linux as the firewall/VPN router at the edge of the
network you are protecting. An old P3 will do the trick for most office
internet connections, but if you want a solid-state solution look at
reflashing  an inexpensive Linksys router  like the WRT54GL to use
OpenVPN by using Tomato or OpenWRT.  (Tomato seems easier for most
people, but adding OpenVPN to it is a bit harder.)

This will cost a lot less than $300 and there are no client license
fees.  There are some setup and management time costs, but those are
true of any VPN where you have to manage the access of individual client
systems.

See the OpenVPN "How to" for more info:

http://openvpn.net/index.php/documentation/howto.html

S.