[svlug] Ogg Vorbis

Holt Sorenson hso at nosneros.net
Fri Jul 18 23:33:59 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:32:24PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
>Just conducting an e-mail poll on what my fellow Linux users think about
>Ogg Vorbis.
>
>A) It is my audio format of choice...

I prefer FLAC, because I do enough work with with audio that I want
straight bits. Before I started going that direction, I was working on
converting my library to vorbis q10. Prior to that I was using mp3 256K
CBR with Q3 (encoded with Lame) or something.

The majority of the professional audio software uses lossless formats,
mp3, or apple's propietary formats.

Use of vorbis from what I've seen isn't widely supported, although
I do encounter it. It's most common in utility programs such as
converters.

>C) Ogg is pointless because <blank>, and mention your format(s) of choice:

Vorbis is relevant from a technology point of view.

Clearly it doesn't have the adoption rate that advocates wish it
did.

--
Holt Sorenson
hso at nosneros.net