[svlug] Ogg Vorbis

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 19:41:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Jeff <jeff.lists.nov.2006 at gmail.com> wrote:
> A) It is my audio format of choice...

A&B mostly. I would prefer stuff in ogg format, but not everything is,
and I don't go out of my way to convert stuff to ogg that is alr4eady
in mp3 format. Most dievices (ipods and my various other sources)
prefer mp3 and it is really deleterious not to offer ogg. A good thing
is that my Iriver T3 mini-mp3 player plays oggs out of the box,
doesn't even need rockbox to do that. And that feature is not really
documented. AAMOF, this other loaner mp3 player I have doesn't do
oggs, but does do wma.

Most if not all cdrips I do myself I rip them to oggs.

I guess I could do a mass convert of all mp3s (hundreds?, if not more)
to oggs, just to save a little bit on space, but I would be throwing
away some loss (probably) and would make things less portable. On the
other hand, it would not take very long to do this, now that I have a
dual-core Athlon box instead of a poor old 7-year old thunderbird
running at 1000 mhz :).