[svlug] Recommend shell scripting book?

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Sat Jul 12 00:11:01 PDT 2008

I suggest the O'Reilly books.

Another person recommend a book by  Ellie Quigley.  A few years ago, my boss paid for me to take her Perl classes.  Very well done.

If you are serious about mastering the subject, I suggest that as you read your book, you make a personal quick reference of the important points.  Half a page or so per chapter.  For example, double quotes ("), single quotes ('), and reverse quotes (`) have special meanings you will need to review frequently until you really master the subtleties. So put the explanation in a file where you can easily find it.