[svlug] Spinning down a SCSI disk

Alan Denney yosemite at programmer.net
Fri Jul 11 15:22:04 PDT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 14:00:35 -0700, norm at dad.org wrote:

>"Satyen Sheth" <satyen.sheth at gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Forgive my ignorance, but why would you want to spin down the drives?
>
>I have two disk drives that I never mount and I don't want to wear them
>out.

If you "_never_" mount them, why connect them and spin them up in the first
place?   Or am I missing something?

Even if you could accomplish what you seem to seek, i.e. you spin them down
through software after they come up with each hardware boot, that could cause more
wear and temperature change than leaving them running, depending on how often you boot.

If you meant _infrequent_ use, can you separate them into their own enclosure, to be powered
up and connected only when needed?