[svlug] writing documentation with images?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jul 9 14:55:34 PDT 2008

I want to write a HOWTO on a particular topic in the field of video
processing. Given the subject, the document must include many images, it
cannot be text only (not even ASCII art).
There are no special formatting requirements. Just chapters, headers,
paragraphs, lists, tables and images. No formulas, nothing fancy.

I would like to create the document in a manner similar to the Linux
Documentation Project - write a master file in some sort of markup
language, containing text and references to image files, then run a
bunch of command-line utilities to convert it to:
- HTML all in one page
- HTML one page per chapter
- PDF A4 and Letter
- PS A4 and Letter

AFAICT, the LDP only has text documents, no images. What would be the
best way to make such a document that also contains images?

Ideally, the whole workflow should be based on software commonly found
on recent and popular Linux distributions.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/