[svlug] Officers

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:47:18 PST 2008

On Jan 27, 2008 4:42 AM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
[...]
> A small anecdote:  Many folks will remember when our server suddenly
> dropped off the Internet in Sept. 2006, over a weekend.  [...]

Wow it really IS time to share the dirty laundry, huh?  Rick, your
account's glossing over some pretty important details.  That's right
around when I took office; I remember the situation quite clearly.

SVLUG's volunteers were quite aware that the server needed to be
re-hosted.  Drew's messages to the officers went unheeded, but he
communicated with Alvin and a number of other SVLUGgers.  When I took
office I was immediately made aware of the need to move the server to
another facility, and I immediately began searching for a new hosting
sponsor.

At the time, I was attempting to do actual real-world business with
Mr. Oga, and SVLUG related isues were sometimes the topics of our
conversations.

Well before the server was pulled from he.net Mr. Oga mentioned to me
that, since Drew was an old friend, he'd undoubtedly shut off and hand
over the server if asked.  While I'm unable to prove exactly what
transpired between Drew and Alvin, it's unclear to me how else the
server could have so quickly landed in Alvin's hands.

However that happened, it happened without the permission of SVLUG's
officers.  I was mired in the process of finding another hosting
sponsor for SVLUG at the time, and found Alvin's actions to be quite
meddling and self-serving.  That said, it is entirely possible that he
did this out of the goodness of his heart and that the difficulties it
caused were simply due to his nature.

I remember having quite some trouble getting the server OUT of Alvin's
place and into its current home in Via.net; Mark and I had to make
repeated visits to his offices until we finally managed to arrive
there when he was around and were able to move the server.  This took
some days to accomplish, and I remember clearly that Alvin was quite
irate with us for "visiting him without calling first"... when indeed
I had been repeatedly calling and emailing him regarding the matter.

[...]
> A lot of Reed's administration was like that:  He was, deliberately,
> almost completely detached from the group.

One can hardly blame him.
-Paul