[svlug] Computer History Museum

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun Jan 27 00:43:43 PST 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 12:11:46AM -0800, Paul Cubbage wrote:
> Every other Saturday, the PDP-1 Restoration Project opens to the public.
> Amongst other things, they run the first version of Space Wars (and some
> visitors get to play it) and some very good computer music.  Both programs
> were developed by office mates at MIT.  Often the music guy  himself is
> speaking.
>
> You can take all the (personal use) photos you want but don't touch the
> hardware.  There is an  original Apple I signed by Woz and lots of iron.

Hi Paul,

Yes. In fact, my friend, Lyle Bickley, who I believe is lurking on this
list, and who is a member of the PDP-1 Restoration Team, met me at the
CHM today, and gave me a private tour of the Museum. Wow!

And, the music guy, hmmm, I believe his name is Mike, was there today
giving a scheduled tour of the museum at the same time Lyle and I
were there. And Mike (hopefully I got that right) and Lyle fired up
the PDP-1 and gave us all an unscheduled demonstration of the PDP-1
in operation. (smiles ;) And, yes, the Star Wars game is awesome. The
music synthesis was impressive as well. The story behind the music
program is fun and interesting too. Mike originally wrote that
music synthesis program 40 years ago on a PDP-1 at MIT. That specific
instance of the restored PDP-1 at the CHM was manufactured in 1963. It
was the first interactive computer.

I liked the Apple I as well. Impressive. I also very much enjoyed
seeing the first disk drive, which was designed and built at IBM
in San Jose I believe. That isn't on display, but I saw it in
the restoration lab.

The CHM is a vibrant institution. I highly recommend it to all.
FYI, the Computer History Museum is free and open to the public.

Thanks,
Karen
--
 Karen Shaeffer