[svlug] Officers

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 17:37:37 PST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008 6:22 AM, Karen Shaeffer <shaeffer at neuralscape.com> wrote:
[...]
> Well, I have been on this list for a long time. And it appears to me that
> in recent times, (last two Presidents), it seemed to me that these folks
> were attempting to use their position as President to promote themselves.

I have an educational agenda and mission that I'm promoting within
SVLUG - sure - but I'm hardly using SVLUG for self-promotion.  I think
our first Kernel-walkthru video proves that point quite nicely; you'll
note it's not ME standing up there talking, even though, had I
desired, it would have been.

Those who know me well know I could care less about titles and power.
I care about getting things done, about people, about education, and
about ensuring that SVLUG matures into a more capable, organized, and
friendly group.

My guess is that Paul Reed likewise was attempting to help SVLUG grow and
change and mature as an organization and that many misunderstood his
motives in the same way they've misunderstood mine.

[...]
> As for Google -- I like Google. [...] svlug doesn't need Google [...]
> [...] Lean times build character. So I say: Svlug -- quit groveling over Google.
> Get back to our roots. What is important is svlug, not where svlug meets.

What's differed this time is that, unlike the Cisco situation, where
we lost sponsorship because of a personnel change at high levels (the
new guy didn't feel the same way about SVLUG as his predecessor) [1],
with Google, certain volunteers and members actions and demeanors were
the cause of the rift.

I previously penned a list of rules/regs we should consider during our
efforts to lay down SVLUG's bylaws.  I'll add to that list the
following additional recommended rule:

-> Sponsorship relationships are both delicate and complex.  All SVLUG
members, volunteers, and officers must take care in their interactions
with SVLUG's sponsors.  Do not communicate to the world the details of
new projects being undertaken between SVLUG and its sponsors unless
you are SVLUG's lead for that project or were asked to do so by said
person.  Prematurely or incorrectly communicating the details of a
potential sponsorship effort can do great damage to the efforts of
other SVLUGgers.  Do not argue with, denigrate, or otherwise demean
SVLUG's sponsors.  If they recommend something you feel to be stupid,
simply thank them for their input; don't show them how they're wrong.

Best regards,
-Paul Reiber

 [1]  - this was related to me verbally some years ago so it might not
be spot-on.