[svlug] Officers

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sat Jan 26 06:22:08 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 02:33:35PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Warren Turkal (wturkal at gmail.com):
>
> > This is not supported by the anecdotal evidence that I have found.
> > Many people to whom I have talked claimed that SVLUG's issues have
> > been several years in the making, not just several months.
>
> There were admittedly problems during the Reed administration, e.g., the
> ill-conceived nuking of several crucial mailing lists that caused snarls
> and took a while to fix, but those were minor and got taken care of.

Hi folks,

Well, I have been on this list for a long time. And it appears to me that
in recent times, (last two Presidents), it seemed to me that these folks
were attempting to use their position as President to promote themselves.
I got that sense with both the Reed administration, and much more so with
the Reiber administration. I am not trolling here. I mean no disrespect
to anyone -- it is just the long term impression I have. Others may
see it different -- great. I am not debating this. I have simply
expressed an opinion.

As for Google -- I like Google. I admire any company that makes a
lot of money. And Google has been an excellent resource as a sponsor.
But svlug doesn't need Google -- just like it didn't need Cisco
Systems. And if Google isn't interested in sponsoring svlug events,
I assure you some other company will fill the void. Not to worry.
And if times are lean for a while -- that can be a good thing. Lean
times build character. So I say: Svlug -- quit groveling over Google.
Get back to our roots. What is important is svlug, not where svlug
meets.

Thanks,
Karen
--