[svlug] Joomla and its discontents (was: Vote of no confidence in the current administration)

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:00:56 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:27 PM, Paul Reiber <reiber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yet another instance of inapropriate vitriolic criticism blended with
> a show of technical wizardy, for the list to swallow and enjoy whilst
> allowing the denigration of a helpful, interested, capable young man
> who was too naive to know when to shut up.

Hey, I can't be held responsible for the httpd.conf file.  DreamHost
writes that.  I have limited control through .htaccess files and
through my custom installation in my home folder of php5 so I can
tweak the php.ini config settings as necessary.  It also gets me PHP5
in fcgi, which really does speed up a few things quite noticably.
Curiously enough it sometimes doesn't do much of anything at all, but
that's optimization for 'ya.

Also, DreamHost doesn't like it when you use odd ways (read: things
that aren't SSH and/or HTTP connections) to connect to their servers.
I don't make the rules, but I can't even audit the place beyond
injection attacks because of their EULA.

It's not my fault.  It's just the joys of taking the cheaper path with
a shared hosting solution.  I'm just happy 'cause I get SVN for my
work (http://svn.fsdev.net/).

> Woo hoo!

Hark, do I hear a hint of satire?

--