[svlug] Explaining the Election

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 14:42:25 PST 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 1:57 PM, Paul Reiber <reiber at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rick, you've conveniently side-swiped my entire argument; that the
> appointments I made stand, and that those offices are NOT CURRENTLY
> VACANT, unless indeed both parties have since resigned.

Yes, in fact, Lisa and I have totally sideswiped your argument, which
is now totally moot.

> If that's indeed true, that they've since resigned, then yes, there
> are no officers, and we need elections ASAP for those roles.  Mark did
> not clarify this; he stated that the offices are currently empty,
> which, AFAIK, is not the case.

We have not resigned; we have accepted the judgment of the community
that we weren't appointed, as we have clearly stated several times on
this list. We are in complete agreement on having the election as
planned, and we welcome the candidacies that Bruce and Alvin have
announced. Anybody else?

> While Ed has publically stated that he's not accepting the
> appointment,

Ah, you do know!

> Lisa hasn't.  So, we probably still currently have a VP,
> at a minimum.

Nope. Confirmed in direct conversation between Lisa and several other members.

> The current state of the offices is unclear at best; to state that
> they're vacant does a disservice to the membership, since indeed, like
> it or not, I did what I did, and appointed two successors to those
> offices.

Even if the members agreed that you had that authority, which they
don't, they wouldn't have accepted it as the final act of a despised
administration. I thought I might be able to function as interim
President, but it was borne in strongly upon me that it wasn't on, and
that we don't need to have a President before the next meeting.

> Best regards,
> -Paul

Paul, you are no longer President for reasons that you seem not to
understand. That is, your account of what happened and why does not
match with other people's versions. I tend to assume that people have
a better notion of their own reasons for doing things than other
people do, although there are exceptions. You could do the whole group
a favor by staying out of conversations where you are not welcome, for
precisely those same reasons. If you would like further explanation,
let's take it offline.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/