[svlug] Explaining the Election

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 25 13:37:57 PST 2008

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> The official act of an SVLUG President does NOT supercede the
> decisions of those who've self-appointed themselves to a "Governance
> Committee" of their own making.

The only "decision" I saw was Mark Weisler posting that there will be a
show-of-hands election on Wednesday, February 6 (to fill the two vacant
elected officer slots through 2008).  That is -- actually -- a claim of
fact (a prediction).  It's either right or wrong.

I personally think his statement _is_ factually correct, i.e., that the
described election will occur, for the stated, thoroughly logical
reason.  However, it's conceivable that Mark's prediction is incorrect:
You could, for example, show up and attempt to exhort the members into
sitting down and refraining from selecting your successor and a VP.  Er,
good luck with that.

I really wish you _would_ try that.  If you can give me advance notice,
I can sell tickets, because it sounds like quality entertainment.

Anyway, if it turned out that, by some staggeringly unlikely turn of
events, you were correct, you could then write back here and say "Hey,
Mark Weisler was incorrect:  The membership did _not_ vote to elect a
president and vice-president on Feb. 6."