[svlug] which distribution at installfest

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Jan 25 12:13:18 PST 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 11:36:12 Chris Templeton wrote:
> It doesn't look like they'll be an installfest at google this month
> according to what other posts I've seen.  I viewed the FAQ on the svlug
> website for popular distributions but once I came across the mention of OS2
> thought it might be a bit outdated.  Whats the recommended or most popular
> distribution people are installing for a desktop o/s.  I saw Mandrake and
> SUSE but also saw Ubuntu.  I know there are lots of distribution but just
> need to get one loaded and start learning to use linux maybe later I'll
> switch.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
The scheduled SVLUG installfest was last Saturday but was cancelled.
CABAL is another installfest/potluck/social event and there is one tomorrow.
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/
You might wish to visit CABAL to gather more perspective on useful distros
right now (things change quickly).

It depends, of course, on your intended use and your computer but some distros
to consider might include the Ubuntu suite (Kubuntu, etc.), sidux, Mint, and
PCLinuxOS.

http://distrowatch.com/ has many clues.

--
Mark Weisler