[svlug] Oh! BTW... (svlug vs. svglug)

lcafiero@sdf.lonestar.org lcafiero at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Jan 25 11:39:46 PST 2008

Bill Ward said:

> I'd rather not.  The GNU/Linux vs Linux thing is a political issue and
> I think there's enough politics around here already.

That may be true of SVLUG -- there sure is a lot of politicking going on
around here -- but it doesn't make the GNU/Linux issue any less important.
As a point of reference, the Cabrillo College GNU/Linux Users Group
started out sans GNU, but after lengthy discussion we opted to change our
name to, in the words of one member, "give the GNU its due." The
membership at its January meeting agreed with by unanimous vote.

We have the benefit and flexibility of being a new organization, so a name
change at this early stage may be less of a shock than having an
established organization like SVLUG changing its name.

On the other hand, the revolutionary upheaveal in the organization at this
point might lend itself to a name change going forward.

And Paul Reiber said:

> On Jan 23, 2008 5:59 PM, Paul Reiber <reiber at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Question (for someone, not me) is... do we really want to be
>> strong-armed into changing our name?

I wasn't at the meeting, so I don't know exactly what transpired
(vis-a-vis anyone or any clique "strong-arming" the group, which could
have made for an interesting visual), but it sounds to me from Julia's
e-mail earlier that it was just a proposal that was approved.

Larry Cafiero
Cabrillo College GNU/Linux Users Group
Aptos, California
"Giving the GNU its due since 2007"