[svlug] Explaining the Election

Mark Weisler mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us
Fri Jan 25 09:44:34 PST 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 01:03:44 Paul Reiber wrote:
Note: I'm posting to lists.svlug.org rather than
svlug-announce at lists.svlug.org as this is an explanation not an announcement.
> On Jan 25, 2008 12:40 AM, Mark Weisler <mark at weisler-saratoga-ca.us> wrote:
> > SVLUG will be holding an election at its next general meeting on February
> > 6th to fill its vacant elected officer positions for the remainder of
> > their terms.
>
> Gee... I could SWEAR I had just appointed Ed and Lisa into those
> offices!  Was I dreaming?  Or, am I still SVLUG's President?  Or, did
> my appointments happen, and then they both immediately resigned?
> Inquiring minds want to know.
>
> You're all doing the office of President a grave disservice right now,
> blatantly disregarding the official acts taken this very afternoon,
> and blatantly disregarding my wishes in this matter.
>
> That said... I'm getting happier and happier with my decision to wash
> my hands of this whole situation.
>
> I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavours; you're certainly
> going to need it.
> -Paul
To explain...   At last night's governance meeting [1] we decided that the
best course of action would be to have an election because:
* SVLUG officer positions have traditionally been filled by election rather
   than appointment,
* We want to be open to anyone who would like to help as an officer and,
* Several people have offered to serve as an officer.

I believe we all would like to get back to the main agenda for
SVLUG...learning about and promoting Linux.  Volunteers are working to get
speakers for our general meetings and to generally support SVLUG.

I appreciate the good work Paul Reiber has done for SVLUG and look forward to
an excellent future for our group.

[1] For the past four weeks several of the more active volunteers have been
meeting to discuss SVLUG governance with the goal of better articulating how
we want SVLUG to be managed. Participation in the group has been open to
anyone. We expect the group to resume work with the officers after the
election.

--
Mark Weisler