[svlug] Fwd: Open mailing Lists?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 25 04:36:20 PST 2008

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> Not me. Marc. His definition is to be able to post to a list without
> signing up for it, as suggested in my original post.

That was -not- suggested in your original post, which is why I was
obliged to heavily qualify what I was saying, in my attempt to address
your question.  Moreover, unfortunately, you didn't bother to quote what
(you believed that) Marc was saying, either.  So, I was left rather
thoroughly at sea.

(In an ideal world, I'd have gone hunting through prior posts for clues,
but, as you might imagine, I've been rather deluged, this past day.)

> > [1] Note:  Mr. Reiber, who established this mailing list ("Carpool"),
> > attempted to define it to do Reply-To munging.  However, it turns out
> > that there's a system maintenance script that autocorrects this
> > list-administrative error (retroactively disabling such munging).
>
> That appears to be an instance of proactive disabling.

Yes, indeedy.  I didn't write that cronjob -- but I do admire it, and am
grabbing it for reuse elsewhere.