[svlug] Joomla and its discontents (was: Vote of no confidence in the current administration)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 25 04:32:19 PST 2008

Quoting Chris Miller (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):

> Holy crud, it really does validate!

> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffsdev.net%2F
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Ffsdev.net%2F

Golly gee wilikers, Batman!  If only that were relevant to what I said!  ;->

In fairness, yes, Joomla 1.5 and later _is_ a massive improvement in
standards-compliance.  And _mostly_ what I meant was, indeed, a comment
on pre-1.5 output, which was _both_ bad _and_ non-W3C.

Tapping the notional Sherman on the shoulder and using the notional
Wayback Machine for a moment[1], you might recall that what I _actually_
said was:

   excruciatingly bad HTML output

I said "bad"; you talked about W3C compliance.  See the problem?

Not yet?  Well, try this, to really _look_ at the HTML output, and not
merely feed it through a validator, as if what it _consists_ of didn't
matter:

$ script
Script started, file is typescript
$ telnet fsdev.net 80
Trying 208.113.161.82...
Connected to fsdev.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0 [return]
[return]

...and then, when it's done, Ctrl-C to close the "script" session,
leaving session file "typescript" in CWD.  And then _look_ at that
stuff.

Except, on a bonus irony note, what you get at the moment is _this_:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK