[svlug] Fwd: Open mailing Lists?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 04:21:51 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 3:30 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):
>
> > Marc Merlin inquires whether we can have the SVLUG lists open and
> > unmoderated, so that non-members can post. As an anti-spam activist, I
> > have always worried about open, unmoderated lists, but Marc assures me
> > that current spam blocking techniques are adequate.
>
> Carpool - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held[1]
> Jobs - moderated
> Officers - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are _autodiscarded_
> Smaug - [not operated by SVLUG]
> Speakers - archive-only, no postings
> svlug - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held
> svlug-announce - moderated
> volunteers - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held
> volunteers-old - archive-only, no postings
> web-team - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held
>
> ("Held", above, means that the message is initially put in an admin
> queue, and listadmins are informed of its arrival and prompted to decide
> whether it should be allowed through, rejected, discarded, or left for
> the time being in the admin queue.)

Hey! A clear, factual, relevant answer! Do you see that, everybody?

Thanks, Rick.

> Given that (actually) the only two SVLUG mailing lists that are set as
> moderated are the ones that actually require it by their nature, is
> there still a question remaining that I can answer for you, or does that
> cover it?
>
> In particular:  It's possible that you have a specific meaning of the
> word "open" in mind, but that I'm not yet understanding, so please do
> ask if I can provide a more-relevant answer.

Not me. Marc. His definition is to be able to post to a list without
signing up for it, as suggested in my original post. I don't see the
usefulness of the practice, but I thought I'd ask.

> E.g., the above says
> nothing about who may examine the various lists' back-postings archives
> or membership rosters.  However, you can (if you wish) determine the
> answer to those questions easily by inspection, by navigating directly
> to the various lists' listinfo pages from Mailman's list-of-lists page,
> http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/ :  Their policies are documented
> directly upon their respective listinfo pages.
>

> [1] Note:  Mr. Reiber, who established this mailing list ("Carpool"),
> attempted to define it to do Reply-To munging.  However, it turns out
> that there's a system maintenance script that autocorrects this
> list-administrative error (retroactively disabling such munging).

That appears to be an instance of proactive disabling.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/

Edward Cherlin