[svlug] Open mailing Lists?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Jan 25 03:39:55 PST 2008

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> I didn't expect to be slammed simultaneously for dictatorial
> tendencies _and_ for asking the membership what they would like. %-[

Part of the problem was that -- with the very best of intentions -- I
believe you may have inadvertantly garbled the the question Marc Merlin
raised.  I'm pretty sure Marc did _not_ suggest that our mailing lists
(such as this one) should be completely open to posting from arbitrary
sending addresses, without the need to subscribe.  Except in very
particular cases that don't apply here, that scenario really no longer
works on today's Internet.  (Exception:  Yes, you can do what Chris
Miller describes, of moderating _all_ postings, but that's really not
"open" in your sense of the word at all; it's to the contrary equally
"closed" for subscribers and non-subscribers alike.)

Marc's _main_ point was to say that setting a mailing list to
_autodiscard_ addresses from non-subscribed addresses is a really bad
idea.  I agree.  And I'd say it's a doubly bad idea when that mailing
list is an address that constituents are accustomed to using to talk to
an organisation's staff -- as is the case with "Officers".

In any event, if you're going to ask questions of our other volunteers,
especially incredibly broad and time-consuming ones, would you _please_
at least take the trouble to detail what you mean (in context) by words
like "open"?  Thank you.