[svlug] Open mailing Lists?

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:52:07 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 4:56 PM, Bill Bell <billnspm at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:37:59 -0800
> > From: echerlin at gmail.com
> > To: svlug at lists.svlug.org
> >
> > Marc Merlin inquires whether we can have the SVLUG lists open and
> > unmoderated, so that non-members can post. As an anti-spam activist, I
> > have always worried about open, unmoderated lists, but Marc assures me
> > that current spam blocking techniques are adequate.
> >
> > Opinions and suggestions please.
> >
> > --
> > Edward Cherlin
> > Apparently President, SVLUG
> >

>  If Marc says it's doable, it probably is, as long as someone stays on top of the filters.
> IOW, try it and see.

It's not the greatest idea.  All new members (their mail, actually) is
hand-moderated where I admin.  It'd be thousands of times better if
Google could just make some kind of email legitimacy checker, better
still if they added a catchpa to that.  As it is, they haven't, so we
do it.  We've got admins covering most timezones, so it's okay.  It's
a bit of an admin competition to see how many messages we can
moderate.  I'm not so good :(

Because there is a human in the loop there are mess-ups.  I've done a
few, and so have the others.  But it's much better than with no
filtering at all!

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!