[svlug] appointed vs voted - was Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 24 16:56:47 PST 2008

(Carefully not commenting on any of the rest, e.g. "appointments", but
just as a point of general clarification for the membership's benefit --
because some people, up to and including a prior VP, have also gotten
this wrong in the past:)

Quoting Paul Reiber (reiber at gmail.com):

> SVLUG has officers, volunteers, and members.

SVLUG actually has _two_ types of officers, elected and appointive.
The appointed officers report to (are answerable to) the elected ones.

Volunteers whom the Web Team has been notified of (in both categories,
of course) get credited on our standard page for that information,
http://www.svlug.org/officers.php .  (It's the least SVLUG can do, to at
least thank people for their work for the group.)

Occasionally, someone forgets to notify us, which is why Warren
regrettably was never credited as "Installfest Facilities Coordinator /
Google Liaison".  By the time I figured out for myself that he'd taken
over that role, he'd quit.  Sorry, Warren.  Not the Web Team's fault.

In short, you're (still) repeating the error of one of our prior VPs, in
assuming that only the Pres and VP are ever referred to as "officers".
The matter _has_ been explained to you before, but I'm guessing you must
have forgotten.