[svlug] Open mailing Lists?

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Jan 24 16:18:06 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 4:07 PM, Chris Miller <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 2:37 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Marc Merlin inquires whether we can have the SVLUG lists open and
> > unmoderated, so that non-members can post. As an anti-spam activist, I
> > have always worried about open, unmoderated lists, but Marc assures me
> > that current spam blocking techniques are adequate.
> >
> > Opinions and suggestions please.
>
> As an administrator and anti-spam Crusader at
> http://groups.google.com/group/linuxusersgroup I can tell you for
> certain that you do __**NOT**__ want to open up the list.
>
> Spam networks blanket every email address they crawl over.  You will be spammed.

I would tend to agree.  PenLUG's mailing lists are set to reject
messages from non subscribers (members) or hold them for moderation
(officers).  That way the list members never see the spam.  I clear
out the moderation queue periodically for the officers list.

I don't believe in discarding the email from non-subscribers (as svlug
does for its officers list) because people may want to use it as a
means of contact.  A bounce message at least gives them a reason why
their message didn't get through.