[svlug] Open mailing Lists?

Chris Miller lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 16:07:55 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 2:37 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marc Merlin inquires whether we can have the SVLUG lists open and
> unmoderated, so that non-members can post. As an anti-spam activist, I
> have always worried about open, unmoderated lists, but Marc assures me
> that current spam blocking techniques are adequate.
>
> Opinions and suggestions please.

As an administrator and anti-spam Crusader at
http://groups.google.com/group/linuxusersgroup I can tell you for
certain that you do __**NOT**__ want to open up the list.

Spam networks blanket every email address they crawl over.  You will be spammed.

We have found that the best way to defeat the spam is to enforce new
member authentication, which consists of a image catchpa and a
email-verification.  This ensures that new members have both a working
email (something most spam lords don't have for every bot) and a
human-like visual text recognition system (something most bots don't
have).

I'm not saying keep the list closed from people, just enforce some
tests to ensure that prospect members are humans, since the machines
are getting rather annoying.

It starts with Vi at gra every week or so, until it's four or five
messages a day for every kind of ED treatment imaginable.

We've not let it alone long enough to figure out how dark and deep
they can make life for the admins.

--
Registered Linux Addict #431495
http://profile.xfire.com/mrstalinman | John 3:16!