[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 24 15:56:27 PST 2008

Quoting Chris Miller (lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com):
> On Jan 23, 2008 10:14 PM, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> > 'Cause then we'll all be too depressed by ugly URLs, nonexistent
>
> Heard of mod_rewrite?  What am I thinking, this isn't a stupid group!
> Of course you have!

To slightly paraphrase Jamie Zawinski, "A man once had a nagging problem
with his Web site and thought 'I know!  I'll just use mod_rewrite!'
Now, he had _two_ problems."

Yes, you _can_ deploy mod_rewrite without blowing up your site (I do,
carefully) or losing your mind debugging regexes, but that's not the
point:  Why does this particular CMS insist on Sucking Different<tm> in
that _particular_ way, where the only way you can end the pain of
butt-ugly URLs involves whacking yourself upside the head with
mod_rewrite or some other tacked-on kludge?

Anyway, I wasn't intending to debate CMS advocacy, so I'll exit at this
point, and leave you to cover that with others.

I do find it amusing that a typical geek response to any problem
situation whatsoever is to say "Gosh, you could fix _all_ those sundry
problems by just dropping [magic large software framework] on them!"
Good luck with that.