[svlug] Open mailing Lists?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 24 15:30:00 PST 2008

Quoting Edward Cherlin (echerlin at gmail.com):

> Marc Merlin inquires whether we can have the SVLUG lists open and
> unmoderated, so that non-members can post. As an anti-spam activist, I
> have always worried about open, unmoderated lists, but Marc assures me
> that current spam blocking techniques are adequate.

Carpool - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held[1]
Jobs - moderated
Officers - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are _autodiscarded_
Smaug - [not operated by SVLUG]
Speakers - archive-only, no postings
svlug - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held
svlug-announce - moderated
volunteers - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held
volunteers-old - archive-only, no postings
web-team - unmoderated, posts from non-subscribed addresses are held

("Held", above, means that the message is initially put in an admin
queue, and listadmins are informed of its arrival and prompted to decide
whether it should be allowed through, rejected, discarded, or left for
the time being in the admin queue.)

Given that (actually) the only two SVLUG mailing lists that are set as
moderated are the ones that actually require it by their nature, is
there still a question remaining that I can answer for you, or does that
cover it?

In particular:  It's possible that you have a specific meaning of the
word "open" in mind, but that I'm not yet understanding, so please do
ask if I can provide a more-relevant answer.  E.g., the above says
nothing about who may examine the various lists' back-postings archives
or membership rosters.  However, you can (if you wish) determine the
answer to those questions easily by inspection, by navigating directly
to the various lists' listinfo pages from Mailman's list-of-lists page,
http://lists.svlug.org/lists/listinfo/ :  Their policies are documented
directly upon their respective listinfo pages.

[1] Note:  Mr. Reiber, who established this mailing list ("Carpool"),
attempted to define it to do Reply-To munging.  However, it turns out
that there's a system maintenance script that autocorrects this
list-administrative error (retroactively disabling such munging).