[svlug] installing linux dual boot on external hd

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:23:20 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 3:31 PM, Chris Templeton <cbtempleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a laptop I use for work but would like to install linux as a dual
> boot, hopefully by plugging in an external hd that it can read the linux
> files from.  I only have 20gigs left on this laptop drive.  What s/w do I
> need to dual boot so I can still access my work files.  I'm hoping to come
> to the install fest on feb 16th, I'm finding a lot of jobs require linux
> knowledge as well as mac and this will help with the linux part.  I do have
> vmware with centos and a few other linux distributions but I feel its not
> real world and don't get the speed and full functionaly of the o/s.

What you want to do is possible.  But I'm not quite clear on exactly
what you are wanting to do.  Do you want to boot from the USB drive or
the internal drive?  Do you want all the linux filesystems on the USB
drive or on the internal drive or some combination?  What kind of
laptop do you have?

For example, I have a Thinkpad T61 with Windows XP on the 80 GB
internal drive.  However, I have a 160 GB external USB laptop drive
with a vfat partition to hold the grub boot files and several ext3
partitions holding Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu 7.10, Debian Etch, and an open
partition for Ubuntu 8.04 when it comes out.  If I boot normally, it's
just a Windows machine.  If I boot with the USB drive, I have a host
of Linux options.

Regards,
- Robert