[svlug] appointed vs voted - was Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 15:18:48 PST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 2:55 PM, Alvin Oga <alvin at mail.linux-consulting.com> wrote:
> hi ed
> > Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > Note, please, below. Paul is no longer President, by his own action. I
> > am, and Lisa is VP. Thank you, Paul. There is business to be done, but
> > I will start to discuss it in another thread.
>
> this whole politics flamewar started with "appointed" officers
> vs waiting to be voted in ...

SVLUG failed to elect a replacement VP for two months straight, so I
appointed one.  Twice.
The first one didn't stick, only because the VP resigned.  The second
one isn't in question; it's actual.

Likewise, my last act in office, appointing a successor, isn't in
question, it's actual.

> are we going to start that again ??? or wait till wed for the
> votes ( in person, by email, .. ) to happen ??

SVLUG has officers, volunteers, and members.  No officer has called
for any vote on anything.  I'm unsure whether any volunteers called
for a vote or not... and I'm unsure whether volunteer status gives one
the right to even call for a vote on something.  I'm damned sure that
being an SVLUG member does NOT give one the right to call for a vote
on something.

However... I really don't care what happens now... so if you all want
to live with this ridiculous state of things, by all means enjoy
yourselves.

> > Oddly enough, a vote has been called.
>
> thusly, the vote on wed should be allowed to happen before declaring
> who is pres and VP ??

You'll be doing a grave disservice to SVLUG's current President and VP
if you attempt to have an election during this next meeting.  Their
terms expire in August or so, not now.

> svlug can still operate ... even without paul as president
> and no appointed interim or otherwise officers

Sure... it could... but it isn't.  The appointments STAND - if you
personally would like to run for President, do so when the current
President, Ed Cherlin, finishes his term.  Or, get him to appoint you
earlier if he agrees.

Regards,
-pbr