[svlug] Open mailing Lists?

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:52:07 PST 2008

IMHO the various lists need varying policies.

For example, as structured, the officers list is there for the current
Pres and VP to use as a means of communicating with past VPs and
Presidents... nothing more.  Out of respect for them, that list does
not allow posts from non-members, and I'm pretty sure most of the
other ex-officers would concur with me that this is preferable to
having just anyone be able to bother them with stuff.

Mark's contention that the volunteers list be opened doesn't consider
the practically zero negative effect of having non-subscriber-messages
held for moderation;  it's quite easy to periodically check the
appropriate webpages for moderated messages needing attention; I did
it many times per day, and the process never became a bother to me,
and non-list-member-posters never ever complained that their messages
were delayed a little.  They were happy that they got through to
someone.

For the main list and new ones (Carpoll, SIG lists, whatever else you
all decide) - sure, those need to be open.

Best,
-pbr