[svlug] Hippocracy of the "Governance Committee" and a Call to Action

Rachel Heller scarletcleopatra at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 00:39:02 PST 2008

I am posting to the main list about this matter becasue I feel it is a
matter of importance. I was excluded from the last "governance meeting".

As background I participated in both the first and second meeting. Having
had to leave the second meeting for transportation reasons before the
meeting ended (apprx. 11:30pm), but not before the allotted time scheduled
for the meeting had past (9pm). I left at approximately 10pm.

I fully expected that there would have been an e-mail from the committee
reminding the group of when the next meeting would occur, as there had been
in the past. The emails addresses for everyone in the committee were well
known as emails had been sent in the past. I did confirm the existence of
this meeting with another participant of the committee at the last kernel
walk-through.

If this is how the members of the governance committee act toward a fellow
participant, one can only imagine how they feel about the greater
constituency of SVLUG.

I may not be a Linux professional; I may not be an expert on the subject,
but dammit I use Linux, and I love Linux, and I am a great advocate of Linux
and of the SVLUG. I am an enthusiast, and when a committee I put my valuable
time in, chooses to ignore me, I feel that the entire group should know. I
believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, the a LUG is not just a place for
die-hard technical Linux users, but also those who are average users and
those that are curious about Linux. When the latter groups are ignored it
make me feel that SVLUG is not a hospitable place for these categories of
people. These people are the bread and butter of a group like this and they
are being alienated by all subterfuge  surrounding the "governance
committee".

>From my participation in the "governance committee", I feel it is onn a
bullet train to nowhere. We can't even decide how to make decisions. I
hereby declare that the "governance committee" has no standing, no
authority, and no credence to govern or advise SVLUG of its future.

I call, I implore those of you who have been lurking in the list, sitting in
the shadows, to please step up. PLEASE. This group is dying a slow and
painful death. You, we, cannot be content in coming to monthly meetings
being fed, entertained and educated by speakers. The word is that slowly the
number of people willing to talk to this group is dwindling; they surely are
losing respect for this group. If there are no speakers, there will be no
meetings and no place for you to hang out and be fed.

Is an SVLUG event something you can live without? Is SVLUG something you
will miss? If your answers are No & Yes, please speak up and do not let the
few over-spoken members of this group scare you into silence. Please speak
up and make yourself heard; gather people with like minds to take this group
back from the mud pit where it is languishing and bring it back to its
former glory. Move beyond these childish games we are playing and become
what a any self-respecting LUG should be.

Thank you & good night,

Rachel

--
Rachel

Check out my blogs:
Food & Cooking: CheftobeCleo.blogspot.com
Shiny Interesting stuff: ScarletCleopatra.blogspot.com
Another one: scarletcleo.livejournal.com/