[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:03:44 PST 2008

Somebody else wrote:
> > > After it came back up. The lists are now closed down, due to "politics" and
> > > I'm going to guess former volunteers reporting problems and/or complaining.
> > > It also prevents members from contacting the volunteers without approval, or
> > > on the officers list, it looks like your message just gets silently dropped
> > > on the ground.
> >
> > I haven't run into this myself.
>
> I got bounces from the list, and an auto discard notification forwarded to
> me from Rick. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even have known of the
> rejection.
>
> > > My only advise is
> > > 1) rebuild a new svlug machine, this one has had too many bad things done to
> > >    it, to be trustworthy. If that's not a option, get a good admin to
> > >    audit/fix it up (it is salvageable I think), and see #2.
> >
> > Happening.
>
> Been happening for 15 months.

Actually, it has been *not* happening for 15 months.

> I built and brought up the still running machine in one day.

Context: Currently happening, after 15 months of I don't know what.
Technical problems will be resolved as soon as the power struggle is
over.

> > > 2) Get one clued linux admin
> >
> > That would be Rick.

s/would/should/

> That's not what I heard.
> I don't want to speak for him, but I've heard from multiple sources now that
> someone is causing a fair amount of damage to the svlug setup by playing
> admins when they don't know how to.
> I doubt it's Rick because I know him to be a good sysadmin, so that leaves
> someone else with root access as culprit.

I say, Rick should be the sysadmin. He wants to, he certainly knows
how to, but he can't while Paul messes with the system and refuses to
butt out of the process.

> I also *think* that Rick has given up because he cannot be a proper admin if
> someone else is playing cowboys and breaking stuff behind his back.

Exactly what Rick told me.

> If he thinks like me (and I'm pretty sure he does), he would refuse to admin
> a machine that someone else is breaking.
> I know I would not want to be an admin in those conditions.

Exactly what Rick told me.

> > >x and have him/her be reponsible for all non
> > >    emergency admin work. Have one or two backups who vouch not to modify the
> > >    machine without approval from the primary admin.
> >
> > In the works.
>
> Been told that for months, in the meantime, I see and hear otherwise.

I have just gotten involved. I see results from my actions, such as my
son getting brie bootable and both of us turning it over to Rick, who
has been doing stress testing. Rumors that it is broken have so far
proven to be unfounded. We expect to get the rest of the bits and
pieces Any Day Now. I'll go pick them up myself, if necessary.

The mail is a mess. Rick won't fix it unless he has the authority to
do it right.

> I personally haven't seen it, but I have heard from different 3 volunteers
> that Paul is a poor sysadmin and is responsible for most if not all the
> damage on the current server.

Also what I hear, from more than 3.

[snip]
--