[svlug] call to action

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Tue Jan 22 19:38:28 PST 2008

I'll start with your last paragraph, which is the important one
(knowing that some readers will want to skip reading the rest)

> You've simply got to realize, though, that I'm running SVLUG
> differently than you did; my goal is NOT to do things as past
> presidents have; my goal is to do things differently, to shake things
> up a bit, and to help SVLUG to grow and evolve into something greater
> and more capable than it has been recently.

That's a laudable goal, and I respect the concept.

I am however pointing out that you may have achieved some of your goals, but
at the expense of other important ones, like the mailing list, the web site,
and a core of volunteers.

Where to go from there is the group's decision. Through inaction, they'll
passively show approval.

Time will tell, the members get to decide where this group goes.
I'll respect what we end up with either way since it'll be the group's
decision.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 07:19:08PM -0800, Paul Reiber wrote:
> > > Marc, you're most probably not subscribed to the list you're trying to post to.
> > Right, volunteers that can't be readily contacted. Good way to run things.
>
> It works well enough.  Moderated posts to the volunteers list hit
> within a day or so of being sent.  And that keeps the crap out.

and posts to officers go to /dev/null with no notification. Keeps the crap
out too.

> I never assumed that donation meant I and the volunteer team had to
> run things to your satisfaction, though, as a result; had you spoken

Does not. I'm showing sheer disappointment, that's all.

> Again, if you were giving it with specific expectations of timeframes,
> we should have never taken the equipment.  I won't place time limits
> on my volunteers efforts; they can, and will, take their time with
> things, and even procrastinate;  I'll not chastise them for that, and
> I'd appreciate it if you didn't chastise me for the same thing.

And I point out that 15 months with no result is not much to show for it.
I think other people can do better.

> > However, you never even bothering to replying to several Emails of mine
> > when my own personal server died of hardware failure and I asked if I could
> > have a piece of that unused hardware back, in order to rebuild/fix my own
> > machine, is a lot less that I could ever have expected of you.
> > Even if you apologize in public now, honestly, or just for show, it
> > changes nothing.
>
> I shan't apologize; I was in Brazil, offline, with spotty, limited,
> excruciatingly slow access to the internet.   I attempted to hand off

All it would have taken was a "yes" from you.
No such reply or acknowledgement, during, or after was ever received.
Sorry but that does not bring good will.

> server admin responsibilities to Mr. Moen, but he refused them except
> if he could attach strings to that.  So, there was no admin while I
> was gone, and no decision making capability for SVLUG.    The

Exactly the problem I point out.
You say the volunteers and membership is at fault.
They say it's your fault because they can't work with you.

Either can be argued, and I'll leave that to others to decide.

> > I can now see that if you treat your other volunteers that way, they aren't
> > exactly willing to work with you anymore.
>
> Mark, I wasn't aware you were one of my volunteers.

See, your trying to be witty and turn arguments like this does not make you
shine.

I know we both wish the best possible for svlug, but it has to be in a way
that works for most of the members.
Now, they get a chance to say and act if they are unhappy enough to do
something about it, if not: best continuation to you.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/