[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 22 16:52:57 PST 2008

Quoting Marc MERLIN (marc_news at merlins.org):

> I don't know if it's by you, I just know that officers, volunteers, web-team
> all look closed. My posts there were rejected, or silently dropped.
> Nothing to do with my Email address. Rick has confirmed to me that those
> lists were purposely closed down to outside posters.
[...]
> All 3 lists reject all non member Email apparently, and at least one
> does so silently, which is what ticked me off the most.  The fact that
> you don't even know how your own lists are setup, speaks for itself.

The "Officers" list was set (by Paul Reiber) on Dec. 12, 2006 to
auto-discard posts from non-subscribed addresses.  To my knowledge, all
the other mailing lists are set to hold such posts for listadmin
scrutiny, instead.

I believe the Exim MTA is really busy at the moment cranking through the
Mailman's outbound queue, so it makes sense that there would be serious
propagation delay on some new mailing list posts, e.g., on Web-team and
Volunteers.

On the other hand, I do see that some legitimate posts held on the latter
two lists have been recently discarded manually by someone.  E.g.,
someone recently sent mail to Web-team with subject header "Bad URL",
but when I attempted to approve it, hoping to see what link is said to
be broken, it was no longer in the admin queue.