[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Tue Jan 22 16:38:01 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 04:08:30PM -0800, Paul Reiber wrote:
> Greetings, Marc!
>
> First, please don't have a cow.  I don't know where you got the idea
> that SVLUG's lists have been "closed down" - by me - that's simply
> untrue.  It's possible some volunteer did change something, so read
> on, and please, by all means, send me a side-email with the email
> address you used and which list you couldn't post on, and I'll assess
> why that happened to you.

I don't know if it's by you, I just know that officers, volunteers, web-team
all look closed. My posts there were rejected, or silently dropped.
Nothing to do with my Email address. Rick has confirmed to me that those
lists were purposely closed down to outside posters.

> > Ok, I first sent this to private lists not to stir things up in public,
>
> SVLUG's lists have been down... Big deal!

Yes big deal. The svlug server has been mismanaged into the unreliable thing
that it is now. Its current problems are not hardware related.
The fact that the web server randomly goes down in the middle of the day
also shows mismanagement.

Whether it's from your personal fault, or someone else's, you as president,
are responsible.

> > I'm just very saddened by the current state of SVLUG.
> > Mail's been down and spooling for about 2 weeks now, and nothing was done.
>
> How much are you and others PAYING to get this mail service to work for
> you 24/7?  ZERO.  So, you get to wait 'till I/we get things working
> if/when they break.  So be it; quit complaining unless you're a paying
> customer of SVLUG.

I see it's always about money with you.
I'm expressing dissatisfaction with your administration. I haven't been the
first, and probably not the last. The fact that most of your volunteers have
left, got fired, or restricted from being able to help, is not a
coincidence.
If no one else is willing to step up and do better, then so be it, but if
someone is, then I hope they can do a better job.

> > Some people seemed to have known but had no access, or no willingness to fix
> > one more thing that someone else keeps breaking.
>
> If those volunteers would have worked hand-in-hand with the
> access-granted/authorized volunteers (who are, in fact, totally willing to
> work with them!) there would have been no problems.

Some say it's you who broke most of it.
Whether that's the case, or not, you are ultimately responsible for the
current situation.
Sorry for the "some", but I'm not going to rat people out.

> Note that I'm nowhere in the above equation; this is a failure of
> existing volunteers to work with each other, and it got worse while I was
> on vacation in Brazil.  As I expected.

Or your failure to be someone they are willing/able to work with.
If they are all wrong, maybe it's just you.
Just saying...

> By the way... when my VP resigned for personal reasons, and I tried to
> appoint another one, I was told (by people with ZERO authority to tell
> anyone anything about SVLUG) that I couldn't do that; that I had to
> wait until the group could elect another VP.  Well... That's a
> crock... I've waited; two general meetings have come and gone, sans
> vote!!!

How about the fact that a portion of the volunteers has now stated (some not
to you directly, because they are non confrontational) that they have given
up working with you?

> Marc, YOU personally set the machine in question up, so I'm sure you're
> proud of it... but indeed, it's having some problems; Others and myself

Not particularly so. It wasn't a work of art, but it worked.

> have been unable to diagnose exactly what's going wrong with it.  If you
> wish to lend your experience, please do.  Otherwise, please don't dis the
> volunteer team who are handling things; rather, please help us get more
> volunteers on board in CONSTRUCTIVE ways instead.

That's not what your volunteers tell me when I asked. Some of them went as
far as to say that what was wrong with that machine was you having root on
it.
Obviously, it's just hearsay (although from multiple sources), but you're
one against several here.

> > While I have given enough of my time in the past, I have no desire to
> > re-run, but I'd like to call a vote of no confidence in the hope that there
> > are at least a couple of (ex-)volunteers who are willing to become the new
> > leadership, and have the means to run a linux machine and do whatever else
> > is necessary to run at least the bare minimums to allow this group to run
> > (back in the days, we've run it with as little one linux admin, one web
> > person, and one person to find speakers. More is better, but 3 is enough)
>
> I'm right in the middle of making improvements, and you're asking me
> to step down?

Because of what I hear and see, and little faith that things will get
better after more than a year.

> No way, Jose.  My term's up in August or so of 2008 - and I'll be running again,
> with reasonable hopes of re-election.  I've been FIXING the very broken parts
> of SVLUG, sir, not destroying it; your implication to the contrary is
> both false and an indication of how very little involvement you've
> recently had with SVLUG.

Each is entitled to their opinion. Majority rules.
If you think members are happy, see how many people complained here, or how
your volunteers or ex volunteers talk of you.
I'm not saying you did nothing for svlug, I am however saying that it
doesn't matter much if the main services are crumbling, and most of the
volunteers have left in disgust or are not refusing to do much (not just one)

> > I'm also very concerned that the current state of affairs is putting strain
> > on the good will that Joe at via.net is giving svlug by offering free
> > hosting (see mail below).
>
> Are you imagining this, or did Joe say something to you personally?  If not,
> please don't jump to conclusions about what he's willing to do or not do for
> SVLUG, since you probably have little idea of what I and some others have
> been doing over at Via.net.  Restated, I believe your concern to be unwarranted.

I debugged that for him when you called him. Took 30 sec to tell him that
the OS and ssh were running.

> > Below is the last mail/problem that tipped it over for me.
> > (mail that got rejected, silently on at least one of those lists)
>
> Please elaborate in a side-email which lists rejected your post.  I'll look at
> your email address, and the settings on the list, and let you know why.
> Most probably you're simply unaware of the current settings somewhere.

All 3 lists reject all non member Email apparently, and at least one does so
silently, which is what ticked me off the most.
The fact that you don't even know how your own lists are setup, speaks for
itself.

Obviously, this can continue as a he said, she said thing, and I have no
intention to continue further. If others care, they'll do something, if they
don't, things will continue as they are.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/