[svlug] [SVLUG-Officers] [volunteers] Fwd: mail problems?

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:32:06 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 4:15 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_news at merlins.org> wrote:
> Since I can't post to the other lists, I guess we'll have to use the main list.

Marc, you're most probably not subscribed to the list you're trying to post to.

For example, you're not an active volunteer, so your posts to the volunteers
list will most probably be moderated.  Do you perceive that as a problem for
some reason?

[...]
> Having 2 weeks worth of mail that's spooling because no one is at the helm
> anymore, and the people who could fix it don't want to be anywhere near it,
> or aren't allowed to, and having it only fixed by a power outage, defies
> words.

What's the BIG DEAL?  The mailinglist was down for a while; only a few people
even NOTICED... Why does a service being down for a while defy words?   Jeesh!

> > it be worrisome; new replacement server solutions are in the works.
> Been going on for 15 months, just saying...
[...] > 15 months! Come on!

HEY - _you_ motivate the volunteers, then!  Volunteers have day-jobs, families,
priorities, and problems.  I live with that; I expect YOU to accept it as well!

And since you're paying NOTHING to get SVLUG up to the next level
of server capability, you can certainly wait 'till it's working - on
OUR schedule!!!

> > Regarding Joe, at Via.net - did he speak with you personally about
> > this?  Did he ask you to pass on that request?
>
> I happened to be there.

You didn't answer my question.

> > I admit that I didn't try to SSH into the server [...]
> > if there's really an issue here, I need
> > to know, since I wasn't aware I was being an imposition.
>
> The fact that you don't even realize how wrong that is, worries me much.

Marc, I'm DEAD SERIOUS - Joe over at Via.net would tell ME if SVLUG was
being a burden.  He's a straight-shooter; I have NO DOUBT he'd tell me.

> If you're getting free hosting somewhere, the last thing you do is [...]

Don't forget - sponsorship is a two-way street; SVLUG provides Via.net
with benefits in return for the hosting.

Best regards,
-Paul