[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Tue Jan 22 15:58:32 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 03:42:19PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > After it came back up. The lists are now closed down, due to "politics" and
> > I'm going to guess former volunteers reporting problems and/or complaining.
> > It also prevents members from contacting the volunteers without approval, or
> > on the officers list, it looks like your message just gets silently dropped
> > on the ground.
>
> I haven't run into this myself.

I got bounces from the list, and an auto discard notification forwarded to
me from Rick. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even have known of the
rejection.

> > My only advise is
> > 1) rebuild a new svlug machine, this one has had too many bad things done to
> >    it, to be trustworthy. If that's not a option, get a good admin to
> >    audit/fix it up (it is salvageable I think), and see #2.
>
> Happening.

Been happening for 15 months.
I built and brought up the still running machine in one day.

> > 2) Get one clued linux admin
>
> That would be Rick.

That's not what I heard.
I don't want to speak for him, but I've heard from multiple sources now that
someone is causing a fair amount of damage to the svlug setup by playing
admins when they don't know how to.
I doubt it's Rick because I know him to be a good sysadmin, so that leaves
someone else with root access as culprit.

I also *think* that Rick has given up because he cannot be a proper admin if
someone else is playing cowboys and breaking stuff behind his back.
If he thinks like me (and I'm pretty sure he does), he would refuse to admin
a machine that someone else is breaking.
I know I would not want to be an admin in those conditions.

> >x and have him/her be reponsible for all non
> >    emergency admin work. Have one or two backups who vouch not to modify the
> >    machine without approval from the primary admin.
>
> In the works.

Been told that for months, in the meantime, I see and hear otherwise.

I personally haven't seen it, but I have heard from different 3 volunteers
that Paul is a poor sysadmin and is responsible for most if not all the
damage on the current server.
Whether he did the damage, or allowed someone else to do the same, the end
result is the same as far as I'm concerned.

> > Remove root access from everyone else, and make sure you picked your admins
> > carefully :)
>
> Indeed.

Indeed, but in the meantime, simple stuff like mail and web don't work
anymore when it's not that hard, and it used to work before it was messed
with.

I can't and don't want to point fingers, but I can observe what I've seen
for the last year or so.

Whether other people agree, or not, and want/can do something about it, or
not, that's for them to say and show.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/