[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:42:19 PST 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 3:19 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_news at merlins.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 02:51:01PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> > On Jan 22, 2008 2:09 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_news at merlins.org> wrote:
> > > Ok, I first sent this to private lists not to stir things up in public,
> > > but my posts are being rejected (sometimes silently) on most if not all
> > > those lists.
> >
> > While the server was down, or after it came back up?
>
> After it came back up. The lists are now closed down, due to "politics" and
> I'm going to guess former volunteers reporting problems and/or complaining.
> It also prevents members from contacting the volunteers without approval, or
> on the officers list, it looks like your message just gets silently dropped
> on the ground.

I haven't run into this myself.

> In the meantime, now that the svlug lists have been neutered, Paul
> encourages people to report problems to a new google list that's been
> recently created.

That is only for when the mail server is down.

> Whether the svlug lists were neutered to force people to Email the google
> list, or whether those two facts are unrelated, I can't say.

I can. They are not related.

> > This is why I'm running for Vice President, currently unopposed, on a
> > platform of Peace and Cat-Herding. Remember, I only lead where you
> > want to go.
>
> You still need a team-mate, but my best to you and other possible
> candidates.

Oh, no. I am running so I can keep an eye on Paul, and run
interference to let everybody else get on with it.

> My only advise is
> 1) rebuild a new svlug machine, this one has had too many bad things done to
>    it, to be trustworthy. If that's not a option, get a good admin to
>    audit/fix it up (it is salvageable I think), and see #2.

Happening.

> 2) Get one clued linux admin

That would be Rick.

>x and have him/her be reponsible for all non
>    emergency admin work. Have one or two backups who vouch not to modify the
>    machine without approval from the primary admin.

In the works.

> Remove root access from everyone else, and make sure you picked your admins
> carefully :)

Indeed.

--
Edward Cherlin
Speak software and carry a big cluestick. You will go far.