[svlug] Vote of no confidence in the current administration

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Tue Jan 22 15:19:39 PST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 02:51:01PM -0800, Edward Cherlin wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 2:09 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_news at merlins.org> wrote:
> > Ok, I first sent this to private lists not to stir things up in public,
> > but my posts are being rejected (sometimes silently) on most if not all
> > those lists.
>
> While the server was down, or after it came back up?

After it came back up. The lists are now closed down, due to "politics" and
I'm going to guess former volunteers reporting problems and/or complaining.
It also prevents members from contacting the volunteers without approval, or
on the officers list, it looks like your message just gets silently dropped
on the ground.
In the meantime, now that the svlug lists have been neutered, Paul
encourages people to report problems to a new google list that's been
recently created.
Whether the svlug lists were neutered to force people to Email the google
list, or whether those two facts are unrelated, I can't say.

> This is why I'm running for Vice President, currently unopposed, on a
> platform of Peace and Cat-Herding. Remember, I only lead where you
> want to go.

You still need a team-mate, but my best to you and other possible
candidates.

My only advise is
1) rebuild a new svlug machine, this one has had too many bad things done to
   it, to be trustworthy. If that's not a option, get a good admin to
   audit/fix it up (it is salvageable I think), and see #2.

2) Get one clued linux admin and have him/her be reponsible for all non
   emergency admin work. Have one or two backups who vouch not to modify the
   machine without approval from the primary admin.

Remove root access from everyone else, and make sure you picked your admins
carefully :)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/