[svlug] SVLUG politics SIG?

Cyrus Mack cyrusmack at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:04:53 PST 2008

Hi there,

As the founder of bytesfree.org, I'm contacting all the LUG's I know of to
see if there is any interest in forming local political SIG's in an attempt
to make sure that 'our kind of people' are represented in this election
year. If you're not familiar with bytesfree.org, take a look at the blog -
http://www.bytesfree.org/bfblog - and the wiki - http://www.bytesfree.org/wiki
- to get a sense of what we're trying to do. The site was inspired by last
year's aborted open formats bill in California, ab 1668, after seeing how
paid Microsoft lobbyists influenced state legislative committees.

If you would be interested in helping update information for voters,
attending a monthly round table, or otherwise getting involved, please
consider joining the mailing list, the only one at the moment:
bytesfree-discuss at bytesfree.org . To join, it's the usual mailman thing.
send email to bytesfree-discuss-request at bytesfree.org.

The most immediate topics concern the upcoming primaries, which for
legislative office will be held in June. I'd also like to explore the
possibility of creating an open format ballot initiative. But mostly, I want
to organize LUG's and other interested parties so that never again are
issues concerning DRM, fair use, patent reform, privacy, DMCA, et al.
overlooked in an election.

I'm working with someone at SCALE to produce a launch BoF there. I hope to
see some of you there.

Thanks, and I hope to hear from you very soon.

-Cyrus