[svlug] question re: label ext3 external drive using tune2fs

Paul Reiber reiber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 14:35:12 PST 2008

On 1/3/08, Daniel Gimpelevich <daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> > As far as I know there is no e2label equivalent for UUID, e.g. e2uuid.
> As well there shouldn't be. The UUID is not supposed to change on the fly.

Good insight and well explained, Daniel!

I~m unsure why some people see UUIDs / GUIDs as hard or confusing when
they~re actually so simple - in few words, they're immutable, unique
identifiers.

Using them as disk labels is only one of a billion good things you can
do with GUIDS...  for example, ever thought about what would happen if
you put a GUID in a webpage somewhere, and then use the "tinyurl" to
that page as an identifer?

Not quite a guid, but close... and pretty useful in some contexts. :-)

GUIDs are the bees knees for building good for javascript too -
witness http://tiddlytools.com

TTYL!
-pbr