[svlug] recommended percentage swap on 400G drive

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:49:59 PST 2008

Thanks, Rick and Don, for those links.

On Jan 1, 2008 12:25 AM, Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> wrote:
> begin Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 09:16:21PM -0800:
>
> > As if all this detail wasn't enough to contend with, it turns out that
> > Linux swap _files_ (as opposed to partitions) are a contender again.
> > They were common in very early Linux days, but fell out of favour when
> > it emerged that swap partitions yielded much better performance.
> > However, it turns out that, with the 2.6.x kernel series, swap files
> > once again have competitive performance, and might be worth using. See:
> > http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/5/29/3

My own test seems to confirm what Jesper wrote.  In fact, my tests
show a swapfile to be about 20% faster:

http://groups.google.com/group/cwelug/msg/2c384970d73029df

Admittedly, I question whether the tests I performed were valid.

> FHS doesn't seem to list a recommended location for
> swap files.  Somewhere in /var?
>
> Good explanation of swap from Martin Pool here:
> http://sourcefrog.net/weblog/software/linux-kernel/swap.html

Personally, I use a swapfile called /swapfile.  But then I also use a
single partition, chainload grub, and use labels.  Having everything
in one partition including the swapfile greatly simplifies things for
me, like dual booting and cloning.  YMMV.

Regards,
- Robert